|Worse than 1984? Sorry Obama that's not the change you promised!|
Sign your name and support the Restore Our Privacy Act.
Sen. Bernie Sanders introduced the Restore Our Privacy Act to put strict limits on sweeping powers used by the National Security Agency and Federal Bureau of Investigation to secretly track telephone calls by millions of innocent Americans who are not suspected of any wrongdoing.
"We must give our intelligence and law enforcement agencies all of the tools that they need to combat terrorism but we must do so in a way that protects our freedom and respects the Constitution's ban on unreasonable searches," Sanders said.
Read the bill here.
What this bill does:
- Reforms Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act (50 U.S.C. 1861) to limit the ability of the government to engage in dragnet data mining.
- Requires that the NSA or FBI have reasonable suspicion, based on specific and articulable facts, to obtain business records for a terrorism suspect.
- Ends the process of obtaining wide-open orders for data mining; the government would be required to provide reasonable suspicion for each tangible thing to be obtained.
- Removes the presumption that anyone "known to" a suspect is relevant to the investigation.
- Increases Congressional oversight-the Attorney General shall be required to report to the Congress as a whole, not just the members of the Judiciary and Intelligence Committees.