Here are 6 more facts not mentioned in this video expose' of music industry frauds that need to be.
- US Patents have a term of 14 years for design patents [patents based on decorative design] and 20 years all others [up from 17 since 1995 due to WTO agreements].
- US Copyrights have a term of the life of the artist, plus 70 years. This amounts to essentially a never ending copyright since just going by this standard alone a copyright by Mylie Cyrus today could last until 2153 if she lived to 90. In addition Hollywood has bribed congress to extend the copyright terms every decade or so to keep works done in the 1920s [like Mickey Mouse] from expiring.
- What the US Constitution says about patents and copyrights: "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries".
- The original term of copyrights was 14 years, and many of the founders like Jefferson fought against it.
- Whats wrong with this picture? Today American copyrights are at a minimum 7 times longer than patents. A company like Intel might spend a billion dollars to develop a new computer chip and then only gets 20 years of protection, but a lip-synced and auto-tuned song by Brittany Spears somehow is worthy of 140 years+ of monopoly protection?
- Copyright is not about promoting innovation and creativity, it all about billionaires and multimillionaires along with entertainment monopolies bribing congress to extend their anti-free market license to steal. The truly ironic part about this is the same people who benefit the most from this are typically the same ones crying about the poor getting too much food stamps or demanding government to mind it's own business. Example: Bill O'Reilly, Fox News, or the Cult of Ayn Rand.
|If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Issac Newton|